A three-times-per-week digest of the top Fairfax County stories from national and local media outlets.
Subscribe to the E-Bird here.
Friday, March 7, 2014
Now hear this: Register now for the March 19 "Developing and Delivering Your Message" workshop. It's the fourth of five sessions in the Fairfax County EDA's Marketing Communications Strategies and Tactics series. Get more information and register here.
Hot off the presses: The Washington Business Journal caught up with Sonny Kakar, CEO of tech security contracting outfit Sevatec. In this story by Jill Aitoro, he talks about the firms move from the Falls Church area of the county to its new Merrifield location where it occupies the entire building.
Tactical move: New York-based defense technology giant L-3 Communications acquired Tysons Corner-based Data Tactics. The business, renamed L-3 Data Tactics, will provide big-data analytics and cloud computing services primarily to the Department of Defense. Our pals at Potomac Tech Wire provided the link to this release.
Bridge to somewhere: An affiliate of Philadelphia-based Versa Capital Management bought Herndon-based BridgeStreet Global Hospitality, which owns more than 50,000 furnished corporate apartments in 60 countries. Get a room and look at this release picked up by citybizlist.
Full speed ahead: Capital Business takes a closer look at how accelerators and incubators are evolving to better assist entrepreneurs. This story by J.D. Harrison notes that Herndon-based Northern Virginia Technology Council, is offering a 10-week training program designed by the Kauffman Foundation, a national entrepreneurship advocacy group.
Suits US: Neustar, which is based in Our Neighboring County to the West but has offices in Tysons Corner, will continue to administer the .US top-level domain, the official Internet country code domain of these United States. Neustar has administered the domain since it won the job in 2001. Virginia Business worked up this neu brief about the work.
STEM sell: Falls Church-based Northrop Grumman, Reston-based Leidos and media group WashingtonExec are presenting a Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) Symposium tomorrow in Herndon for more than 600 K-12 students, parents and educators. Educate yourself with this release picked up by MarketWatch.
Happy birthday: Reston, one of the archetypal planned communities of the 1960s, is turning 50 and founder Robert E. Simon (RES-ton) is turning 100. He and the community are commemorating the 50/100 milestones with a series of events that can be found on the Reston Celebrates Web site. This Reston Now blurb celebrates all the planned hoopla.
FAIRFACT: George Washington's Mount Vernon Estate and Gardens, located along the banks of the Potomac River, is one the most popular private homes in America, with more than 1 million visitors annually and 80 million visitors to date.
Notable contract wins:
- QinetiQ North America won a $16 million contract to provide support services for the Office of Naval Research's Expeditionary Maneuver Warfare and Combating Terrorism Department. Washington Technology.
- DynCorp International won a $9 million contract with the U.S. Air Force to provide management and personnel support services. GovConWire.
Events presented or sponsored by the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority:
- March 14 -- Business Roundtable Speaker Series: Creating Business Opportunities. Presented by the Southeast Fairfax Development Corporation. Get more information and register here.
- March 19 -- Developing and Delivering Your Message. Part of the FCEDA's Marketing Communications Strategies and Tactics workshop series. Get more information and register here.
- March 25 -- TechBUZZ Spring 2014. Presented by the Mid-Atlantic Venture Association. Get more information and register here.
- March 27 -- Veterans in Business Conference. Presented by the Community Business Partnership. Get more information and register here.
- April 2 -- Destination Innovation. Technology fair presented by the Technology Innovations Committee of the Northern Virginia Technology Council. Get more information and register here.
- April 3 -- Economic Outlook 2014. Presented by the Mount Vernon Lee Chamber of Commerce and Southeast Fairfax Development Corporation . Get more information and register here.
- April 22-23 -- 2014 Mid-Atlantic SBIR/STTR Strategies Symposium. Presented by the Center for Innovative Technology. Get more information and register here.
- April 24 -- Mid-Atlantic Marketing Summit. At the Gannett/USA Today headquarters in Tysons Corner. Get more information and register here.