A three-times-per-week digest of the top Fairfax County stories from national and local media outlets.
Subscribe to the E-Bird here.
Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Now hear this: Register now for the May 21 "B2B Marketing for Small Businesses" workshop. It's the last session in the Fairfax County EDA's Marketing Communications Strategies and Tactics series. Get more information and register here.
Hot off the presses: Social media giant Twitter acquired Gnip, which has a location in beautiful downtown Tysons Corner. Gnip CEO Chris Moody said the deal will give the firm the resources and infrastructure to expand its products that are designed to help clients easily analyze data across public Tweets. Join the flock and read this release picked up by Potomac Tech Wire.
Trials, no tribulations: CEL-SCI, a Tysons Corner-based biotech firm focused on treating cancer through the body's immune system, announced plans to raise $10 million in an initial public offering. The company plans to use the funds for a clinical trial, research and administrative expenses. Our pals at Potomac Tech Wire made the news public by picking up this release.
100th time is the charm: The Herndon-based Center for Innovative Technology (CIT) said its GAP Funds program invested in Neoantigenics, a Charlottesville-based biotech company developing a treatment for cancer. The deal marks the 100th GAP Fund investment in Virginia companies since 2005. Invest some time in reading this release picked up by Potomac Tech Wire.
Private aye: CIT also invested in Private Practice, a digital health company also based in Charlottesville. We've made it our practice to direct you to this release picked up by Potomac Tech Wire for more.
And now this commercial message: Vector Technical Resources, a Virginia Beach-based provider of IT staffing services with an office in Tysons Corner, expanded its services beyond the government sector into the commercial space. Our pals at Potomac Tech Wire vectored us to this release.
No soldier left behind: Lorton-based DNA forensic research outfit Bode Technology identified the remains of U.S. Army Pfc. Lawrence Samuel Gordon, who had been unaccounted for since 1944. We salute this this CBS News piece that reports on how the fallen WWII soldier finally came home.
It's all geek to me: Consumer advocacy site NerdWallet ranks Centreville (5) and Reston (8) among the fastest-growing cities in the Old Dominion. No need to get out your wallet to find out how these two Fairfax County locations landed on the list.
FAIRFACT: In fiscal 2013, federal government contract awards for work performed in Fairfax County totaled $23 billion -- more than any other U.S. county or city, 46 states and the District of Columbia.
Notable contract wins:
- BAE Systems Information & Electronic Systems Integration won a $6.7 million contract to provide digital interrogators to the U.S. Navy and Japan. Washington Technology.
Events presented or sponsored by the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority:
- April 22-23 -- 2014 Mid-Atlantic SBIR/STTR Strategies Symposium. Presented by the Center for Innovative Technology. Get more information and register here. April 24 -- Mid-Atlantic Marketing Summit. At the Gannett/USA Today headquarters in Tysons Corner. Get more information and register here.
- April 24 -- In Touch: Large Corporations Using Mobile & Social to Connect Globally to Internal and External Stakeholders. Presented by The HUB. Get more information and register here.
- April 24 -- Mid-Atlantic Marketing Summit. At the Gannett/USA Today headquarters in Tysons Corner. Get more information and register here.
- April 30 -- Global Expansion through Exporting -- New Markets, New Opportunities. At FCEDA headquarters in Tysons Corner. Get more information and register here.
- May 6 -- Entrepreneurship 101: Starting a Business in Fairfax County. At FCEDA headquarters in Tysons Corner. Get more information and register here.
- May 9 -- Get Real with Real Estate - Have I Outgrown My Home Office? Part of the Business Roundtable Speaker Series presented by the Southeast Fairfax Development Corporation. Get more information and register here.
- May 21 -- B2B Marketing for Small Businesses. Part of the FCEDA's Marketing Communications Strategies and Tactics workshop series. Get more information and register here.