- Doing Business Here
- Our Global Presence
- Our Diverse Business Community
- Living Here
- Media Center
- Facts and Figures
The Fairfax County Economic Development Authority produces a number of business lists that can be used for market research purposes, including fact sheets and national business ranking lists of Fairfax County companies. Various public, private and nonprofit source provide more detailed business data free of charge or for a fee.
Below is a listing of local, state and federal sites as well as proprietary business data providers. A "$" denotes that there are charges associated with obtaining business data.
A note on NAICS Codes
Some of the databases and directories listed here allow information to be searched and retrieved using NAICS codes. NAICS (North American Industry Classification System) codes are used by federal government statistical agencies to classify businesses for the purpose of collecting, analyzing and publishing statistical data related to the U.S. business economy. For further explanation of NAICS codes, visit www.census.gov/eos/www/naics/. To search for individual NAICS codes for particular industry segments using keywords or 2- to 6-digit NAICS code, visit www.census.gov/cgi-bin/sssd/naics/naicsrch?chart=2007.
Providers of Proprietary Business Data
The following for-profit companies sell business, marketing information and mailing lists.
Business Yellow Pages/Business Information Lookup
411.com: White and Yellow Page searches.
DMOZ: The DMOZ Open Directory Project is edited by volunteer users. The Open Directory powers the core directory services for the Web's largest and most popular search engines and portals, including Netscape Search, AOL Search, Google, Lycos, HotBot, DirectHit and hundreds of others.
Google Local: Find businesses by company name, industry, keywords, address and zip codes.
MyYP.com: Yellow page directory with mapping features.
Superpages.com — Verizon Yellow Pages: Internet Yellow Pages listing of businesses nationwide. Access to global Yellow Pages directories also is available.
ThomasNet.com: Online resource for finding companies and products manufactured and distributed in North America.
VISA Supplier Locator® search for suppliers/businesses anywhere in the country by business name, geographic area, industry segment or specific enterprise designation (e.g., 8(a), veteran-owned, woman-owned, minority-owned).
Yahoo! Directory: Yahoo Local.
Yellow.com: Allows searches of Yellow Page directories nationally by major cities. Provides links to international Yellow Page and White Page directories in selected countries. Zip code and area code lookup.
Public Sector Sources—Fairfax County
Fairfax County Public Library: The Fairfax County Public Library system provides access to a variety of business and market research resources including databases located at library branches throughout the county. The Library also has business librarians on staff who can assist patrons with specific research needs. Library databases include:
- ReferenceUSA: Mailing, telemarketing and demographic information on 10.5 million U.S. businesses. Residential listings also are available.
- Business and Company ASAP: Periodical information, complete texts of directory listings for private and public companies, and PR Newswire news releases.
- InfoTrac™: Company profiles, histories, chronologies, rankings, brand information, investment reports, ratios and periodical articles on more than 300,000 companies.
Fairfax County Economic Development Authority (FCEDA)
The FCEDA produces a number of publications that can be used for business and market research purposes, including the Real Estate Report and Area Business reports.
Public-Sector Sources—Commonwealth of Virginia
- Clerks Information System: The SCC offers free public access to its mainframe. Clerks Information System provides information on corporations, limited partnerships and limited liability companies registered in Virginia, as well as Uniform Commercial Code Liens.
- Monthly Corporate Activity Report ($): Provides information on filings for new business incorporations in Virginia. Contact: SCC Clerk's Office 804-371-9733.
- Tape Sales ($): The SCC Clerk's Office provides extractions of its database for corporate, limited partnership and limited liability company information. Note: Information is provided on a mainframe tape.
- Employer Database ($): The VEC makes available to the public a listing of employers in Virginia by locality, employment range and 3-digit NAICS code. This information is produced on a quarterly basis. Contact David R. Tysinger, Economist, Labor Market and Demographic Analysis Unit, at 804-786-5880.
- The Virginia Workforce Connection provides online access to labor market and industry information collected by the VEC. Click on the site's “Employers” link to search for information on businesses.
- Announcements for New or Expanding Businesses in Virginia
- Listing of International Firms Operating in Virginia: Contact the Virginia Economic Development Partnership - Export Information Center at 804-545-5750.
Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation
- Regulant/Licensee Lookup (looking up information online is free; downloading information $): Information is available on individuals and businesses licensed to practice in a variety of professions and occupations. Searches may be conducted by looking up a person, individual businesses or by ZIP code.
Virginia Board of Medicine
- Practitioner Information: Web site provides detailed information on doctors of medicine, osteopathy and podiatry currently licensed in Virginia.
Virginia Department of Health Professions
- Health Professions Licensee Lookup (looking up information online is free; downloading information $): Information is available on individuals and businesses licensed to practice in a health-related field. Searches may be conducted by looking up an individual practitioner or by ZIP code.
Public-Sector Sources—Federal Government
- SAM is the Official U.S. Government central repository of companies and agencies registered to do business with the federal government. SAM consolidates the capabilities of CCR/FedReg, ORCA and EPLS.
- Dynamic Small Business Search: Free Internet-based database of information on more than 195,000 self-certified small, disadvantaged, 8(a), HUBZone and woman-owned businesses. Businesses can be searched by NAICS code, keywords, location, quality certifications, business type, ownership race and gender.
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission
- Edgar Database: Research publicly traded companies in the U.S. via Securities and Exchange Commission filings.
U.S. Department of Education
- Private School Locator: Information on 29,000 private K-12 schools nationwide.
- Public School Locator: Information on public school districts and public schools nationwide.
Local and Regional Chambers of Commerce and Business Councils
- For general information, contact 703-904-7878.
- Membership Mailing Labels ($): available to NVTC members only.
- Northern Virginia Technology Companies Listing ($ - database diskette): Listing of more than 3,000 technology companies in northern Virginia; available to members only.
- Chamber Membership Mailing List ($): An online searchable membership database is available for free. The chamber sells a mailing list and mailing labels of members for a fee.
Other Chambers of Commerce
- Community chambers of commerce within Fairfax County offer online listings of members as well. For a list of these chambers visit the FCEDA’s Business Resources section.
- Blue Book of Building and Construction: National listing of building and construction contractors.
- Virginia Health Information: Databases available on Virginia hospitals, nursing facilities, retirement centers and health care providers.
- Directory or Foreign Owned Firms Operating in the U.S. and Directory of American Firms Operating in Foreign Countries
- Martindale-Hubbell On-line Lawyer Locater: Locate and find information on individual lawyers and law firms nationally.
Minority and Woman Owned Businesses
- The U.S. Census Bureau Survey of Business Owners Web site provides a listing of organizations offering databases and directories of woman- and minority-owned businesses.