Fairfax County E-Bird for May 2, 2019
Now hear this: To celebrate National Small Business Week, the FCEDA is hosting “Build It With #FairfaxEDA,” a special workshop for prospective entrepreneurs and small-business owners, featuring respected financial advisor Ric Edelman. The deadline to register for the May 8 event is tomorrow. Click here to see the lineup of other exceptional speakers and topics and register for this unique event.
Secret to success: In order for your fledgling business to succeed, Cventfounder Reggie Aggarwal says it’s imperative to make the right hires. “It’s hard to get good people. If you get a good person, they’ll get you 100 customers,” says Aggarwal in an interview with Alejandro Cremades of Forbes. Aggarwal also admits he never really wanted to sell the Tysons-based event-management software company in 2016 for $1.65 billion, but did so out of fiduciary responsibility to his shareholders.
Teammates a continent apart: ClearanceJobs.com picked up a story and accompanying video from Microsoft detailing what it’s like for that company’s employees to be based in Reston and remain responsive to the needs of the company’s home office in Redmond, Wash. Microsoft says that no matter where its employees work, it attempts to foster a team-oriented culture of collaboration.
Equity, in a Manor of speaking: In a story for Washington Business Journal subscribers, Andy Medici writes about Manor, a Herndon startup previously known as Upside Door. Manor offers an app that, based on input from users, helps provide equity projections and suggestions for home improvements. Manor recently acquired technology which enables users to take pictures of rooms and have square footage determined automatically.
Location, location: Manulife, a Singapore-based real estate investment trust, is paying $122 million for a pair of 11-story office buildings near Fair Oaks Mall, citing their proximity (a “a 30-minute drive from Amazon HQ2″) as the motivating factor. Alex Koma, in a story for the Washington Business Journal, has more on the purchase of Centerpointe I and II from Carr Properties.
Mixing it up: Chaney Enterprises opened a concrete plant on Gunston Cove Road, just off of Interstate 95 in Lorton. Chaney’s first plant in Fairfax County is expected to create about a dozen jobs according to Skip Wood for the Lorton Patch. Chaney, which is based in Gambrills, Md., says the plant features dust suppression and collection equipment, pH treatment systems, white noise backup signals on equipment and multiple measures to reduce energy usage. It’s also being supported by high-tech, in-transit concrete mixers.
New hub for Spok: Add North York General Hospital in Toronto to the list of medical centers employing Spok Care Connect, a service of Springfield-based Spok Holdings. Citybizlist picked up the release, detailing ways in which Spok will improve operator efficiency and delivery of care at one of Canada’s leading academic hospitals.
Pedal performance: According to Reston Now’s Fatimah Waseem, Capital Bikeshare’s Reston stations have been the best-performing in Fairfax County. In Reston, the Wiehle Metro Station, with 4,743 trip segments in 2018, and the Reston Town Center Transit Station with 2,560, were, by far, the most-utilized stops for users. The program, which began late in 2016, is expected to add as many as 11 more stations in the area by early 2020.
Be prepared: As reported by William McCormick for GovConWire, Perspecta president and CEO Mac Curtis will be honored during the Boy Scouts of America National Capital Area Council’s annual Good Scout Technology Award Luncheon on May 8 in Tysons.
Notable contract wins by firms in Fairfax County
- DynCorp International secured a potential eight-year, $1.1 billion contract to provide aviation field maintenance, including aircraft and ground infrastructure, for the Army. GovConWire
- Northrop Grumman received a potential two-year, $132.3 million contract to help integrate counter-missile systems onto aircraft for the U.S. military as well as the U.K. and Norway military. GovConWire
- Lockheed Martin booked a potential $1.14 billion contract from the Navy to provide sustainment services for the F-35 Lightning II program. GovConWire
- Unisys picked up a potential three-year, $76 million contract to help the Air Force manage laptops, desktop computers and mobile devices. GovConWire
- Peraton won a five-year, $33 million contract from the Naval Air Warfare Center Weapons Division to expand test and evaluation programs for range instrumentation systems. citybizlist
- Under a $7.9 million task order, Electrosoft will support the Defense Logistics Agency’s J6 Enterprise IT Services program with multiple services. citybizlist
- Boeing received a $127.6 million contract modification from the Air Force for materials necessary to improve the security, performance and safety of the B61 nuclear bomb weapons system. GovConWire
- Raytheon will engineer a tropospheric scatter-based data transmission system for the Army under a potential 10-year, $663 million contract. GovConWire
Upcoming Business Events
- May 2: Fantastic 50 Awards Banquet. Fifty of Virginia’s fastest-growing companies will be recognized in Chantilly by the Virginia Chamber of Commerce. Click here.
- May 3: Jewels of Asia Awards Gala. 10th anniversary event will include cocktail reception, silent auction and performances and recognize area individuals, small businesses, corporations and non-profits. Presented by Asian American Chamber of Commerce. Click here.
- May 7: Northern Virginia B2G Matchmaking Conference and Small Business Expo. Seventh annual business-to-government event to connect small businesses with agencies and primes. Presented by the Greater Reston Chamber of Commerce. Click here.
- May 8: Build It With #FairfaxEDA. Half-day workshop presented by the FCEDA to offer guidance and inspiration to anyone who wants to start or expand a business in Fairfax County. Featuring keynote speaker Ric Edelman, financial advisor and best-selling author. Click here.
- May 17: Small Business Expo. 15th anniversary networking event featuring business speakers and exhibitors. Presented by BL Networking. Click here.