Fairfax County E-Bird newsletter for Nov. 3: Events, events, events!
The Fairfax County Economic Development Authority is closed today for Election Day. In lieu of our regular coverage, here are some upcoming Northern Virginia business events you do not want to miss. Please check out FCEDA’s online calendar for even more events happening throughout November and December — and virtually and safely.
November 4-6 — TiE DC Capital GovCon 2020. TiE DC presents an online event: “Wake Up to New Ideas: Meet Up with Path-Breakers,” a conference designed for founders and CEOs of 8(a), Women-Owned, HUBZones and Veteran-owned businesses. Hear from government contracting leaders in our region, connect with TiE DC’s community of government contractors, and learn how to achieve your growth goals.
- Nov. 4 – Bringing Innovation into the Capital Beltway: Innovative products and solutions in Cybersecurity, Health IT, Hybrid/Cloud, IT modernization as well as evolving technologies around Blockchain, Deep and Machine Learning, AI/AR.
- Nov. 5 – Emerging trends and opportunities in the US Government: Meet and learn from U.S. federal CIOs, CTOs, and contracting leaders. Catch up with the evolving trends in procurement, contracting, and other avenues to collaborate and do business with the U.S.government.
- Nov. 6 – Growing and Scaling Small Businesses: Meet and learn from SBA and small business contracting officers and founders, entrepreneurs who have successfully grown, scaled, and exited their businesses as well as options for funding and scaling the growth
Click here to register.
November 5 — Fall 2020 Women in Technology Virtual Job Fair. The Women in Technology Job Fair virtually brings technology and business professionals of all levels together with top organizations in the D.C. metro area looking to fill a wide variety of roles including STEM-based fields. This is a free event for job-seekers. Advanced registration is strongly encouraged to allow exhibitors to view your resume in advance. Click here to register.
November 9 — Annual Business & Economic Development Summit. The Greater Springfield Chamber of Commerce presents “Springfield Today, Tomorrow and Beyond,” a virtual event focused on economic opportunities in the Springfield area. Panelists will include Victor Hoskins, president and CEO of the FCEDA; Fairfax County Supervisor Rodney Lusk (Lee District); Terry Clower, director of the Center for Regional Analysis at George Mason University; Barry Biggar, president and CEO of Visit Fairfax; and Elizabeth Hagg, revitalization section director for the Department of Planning and Development. Richard Pineda, CEO of CALIBRE Systems, will serve as moderator for the panel. Click here to register.
November 10 — Tysons 2050. Tysons Regional Chamber of Commerce presents a livestreamed event from 1st Stage in Tysons. This signature event is a community-building event, focused on sharing insights and visions on the future of Tysons. Keynote speakers are Sol Glasner, president and CEO of the Tysons Partnership, and Victor Hoskins, president and CEO of the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority. With Karen Cleveland, president and CEO of Leadership Fairfax serving as moderator, the panelists will be Jonathan Griffith, managing director, Capital One Center; Tony Hudgins, vice president, Partnership & Enterprise Solutions, TransitScreen; Alex Levy, artistic and managing director at1st Stage; and Mike Whatley, vice president, state and local affairs, National Restaurant Association. Click here to register.
November 10 — Entrepreneurship 101: Starting a Business in Fairfax County. The FCEDA, in partnership with the Virginia Department of Small Business and Supplier Diversity (SBSD), U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA), and Community Business Partnership (CBP), presents its free monthly workshop for individuals interested in starting a business in Fairfax County. The sessions provide overviews of:
- business start-up basics (licenses and permits)
- workforce services and training programs
- SBA financing and resources
- SDB, MBE and 8(a) certification
Click here to register.
November 10 — Government Contracting in a Changed World. George Mason University Center for Government Contracting and Defense Acquisition University present a virtual conference, with multiple presenters in this module focusing on acquisition and procurement. Click here to register.
Through November 10 — The Fairfax County Economic Development Authority is showcasing Fairfax County as an innovation hub in a virtual exhibitor booth as a sponsor at “Smart Cities Week, a New Horizon: from Crisis, Opportunity: a Month of Collaborative Engagement” that began Oct. 19 and continues through Nov. 10. Produced by the Smart Cities Council based in Reston, Smart Cities Week is a bi-annual conference produced on the east and west coast of the U.S. and Australia. Cities participating in the Council’s Readiness Program come to share how to accelerate projects and achieve the benefits of being a smart city. Smart Cities Week explores a new horizon with thousands of fellow smart city policy-makers and practitioners. Sessions are live and on-demand. Click here to see the extensive lineup of speakers. Registration for all Smart Cities Week sessions is complimentary. Click here to register.
November 19 — Recruiting and Onboarding In Virtual Times. The Netherlands America Chamber of Commerce presents a webinar on recruiting strategies during COVID-19. Presenters will include Nilesh Shroff, head of systems of insights AI/ML, Verizon; Aravind Pamula, founder and president, Futurali; Frank de Bloois, president of the Americas, Expereo U.S.; Thomas Vilmer, senior region director, TMC; Michael Batt, director, talent initiative, Fairfax County Economic Development Authority. Click here to register.
On Demand — Beyond COVID-19: NOVA Business Resiliency Webinars. The Northern Virginia Economic Development Alliance (NOVA EDA) launched of a three-part, 12 session webinar series: “Beyond COVID-19: NOVA Business Resiliency Webinars.” Created for NOVA businesses to ensure they have the latest and best possible information from a variety of experts, these webinars focus on how to keep moving forward during and after the current global pandemic. Experts were convened that discussed issues such as government financing, staffing, technology readiness, healthy workplaces, new business and revenue models, customer retention, and more. Recordings of each webinar are available on the links below.
- COVID-19 Business Survival Toolkit
- In-Depth Funding & Financing
- Staffing: What’s Best for My Business, What’s Best for My People?
- Keeping My Customers and Finding New Ones in This Climate
- Password for the presentation: NOVAEDA521* [case sensitive]
- New Business Models – Going Digital: What Does it Mean for My Business?
- Password for the presentation: NOVAEDA6/4 [case sensitive]
- Marketing & Business Development Through COVID-19
- Password for the presentation: NOVA6/18 [case sensitive]
- Supply Chain Management
- Password for the presentation: NOVAEDA7/9 [case sensitive]
- The New Normal: Getting Back to Work Safely
- Password for the presentation: NOVA7/23 [case sensitive]
- IT: Making Your Business Resilient
- Password for the presentation: NOVA8/6# [case sensitive]
- Growth Funding
- Password for the presentation: NOVA8/20 [case sensitive]
- Partnering Across the Business Community
- To view the recording of this webinar, please click here
- Password for the presentation: NOVA9/10 [case sensitive]
- Strategic Planning in a Digital World
- Password for the presentation: NOVA9/17 [case sensitive]
How the Fairfax County EDA can help your business
Get business assistance: The FCEDA is here to connect businesses of all kinds to resources and information. Visit the FCEDA’s Covid-19 Business Resource Hub for up-to-date information, including additional recorded webinars. For direct assistance, email the FCEDA at firstname.lastname@example.org, or call 703-790-0600 to leave a voice message for our staff. And click here for resources available in the other nine jurisdictions that make up the Northern Virginia Economic Development Alliance.