‘Creating an Autonomous Vehicle Ecosystem’ webinar set for June 10; MicroStrategy CEO Michael Saylor to headline at Parallel Summit + more events
At 1 p.m. June 10, the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority (FCEDA), in partnership with the Fairfax County Department of Economic Initiatives (DEI), is presenting “Creating an Autonomous Vehicle Ecosystem in Virginia,” a webinar focused on how Fairfax County and the Commonwealth of Virginia are creating an autonomous vehicle (AV) ecosystem in Virginia.
The event will address where we are today and what we need to do to make the dream of a network of fully autonomous vehicles a reality in Virginia. Click here to register and hear from leading autonomous-vehicle experts who are paving the way to a connected-vehicle future.
First panel: Sensing, Perception and the Connected Corridor
One of the main challenges facing AV technology is how vehicles can sense and perceive the environment around them. This panel will focus on how technology is being deployed to enable vehicles to function safely in even the most complicated scenarios. Learn from a pioneering company in AV technology, VDOT, a smart city sensor company and an on-demand platform on how these technologies can work together on public roads.
Moderated by Jacqueline Beckwith, manager of advocacy and government relations, Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, panelists will be:
- Paul Perrone, CEO of Perrone Robotics
- Dave Tokic, VP of marketing and strategic partnerships at Algolux
- Mike Mollenhauer, director of the Center for Technology Implementation, Virginia Tech Transportation Institute
- Cathy McGhee, director of research and innovation at Virginia Transportation Research Council, Virginia Department of Transportation
Second Panel: On Demand Services for First- and Last-Mile Connections
Managing the first-mile/last-mile is critical in successful implementations of AV tech. Learn from experts in the field and technology providers on how they are making it work.
Moderated by Christopher Roberts, president and co-founder of the DC Autonomous Vehicles Association, panelists will be:
- Darryl Keeton, founder and president, Sensagrate
- Tiffany Dubinsky, statewide transit planner at Virginia Department of Rail and Public Transportation
- Kevan Moniri, founding team member and sr. director of operations at curbFlow
- Avishai Shoham, VP mobility products, head of autonomous, Via – On-Demand Transit
Case study: “Relay”
The Case Study on “Relay,” will focus on the autonomous shuttle that is operating from the Mosaic District to the Dunn Loring Metrorail Station. DEI and the Fairfax County Department of Transportation (FCDOT) will walk through how, in a public-private partnership, Fairfax County was able to be the first jurisdiction in Virginia to bring an autonomous shuttle to public roads. Presenters will be:
- Eta Nahapetian, manager, smart community innovation and strategy, Fairfax County DEI
- Dale Castellow, consultant, Fairfax County DEI
- Sarah Husain, transportation planner III, FCDOT
In addition, the welcome remarks will be given by: John Gustavo Blair, assistant director, National Business Investment, FCEDA; and Eta Nahapetian, manager, smart community innovation and strategy, Fairfax County DEI.
Opening remarks will be given by Alex Iams, executive vice president of the FCEDA, and Tracy Tynan, director of the Virginia Unmanned Systems Center, Center for Innovative Technology (CIT). Fairfax County Supervisor John W. Foust (Dranesville District) will provide closing remarks.
MicroStrategy CEO Michael Saylor to headline June 17 ‘Parallel Summit’
With Michael Saylor, chairman, president and CEO of Tysons-based MicroStrategy as the headliner, the Chamber of Digital Commerce is hosting “Parallel Summit: The Institutional Case for Digital Assets,” on Thursday, June 17 at 1 p.m. ET. The webinar, sponsored by the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority, will feature experts in the growing world of digital assets.
Michael Saylor is on a mission to share his playbook and belief in bitcoin as an investment grade, safe-haven treasury reserve asset with CEO’s, investment managers and executives around the world. Saylor is a leading proponent of the idea that bitcoin is the solution to the store of value problem of monetary inflation and he is one of the leading voices bringing a strategic playbook to corporate leaders.
- Michael Saylor, chairman and CEO, MicroStrategy
- Brian Estes, CEO and managing partner, Off The Chain Capital
Meet The Pioneers: ETF’s, Custody, & New Products Paving the Way in 2021
- Jonathan Steinberg, founder and CEO of WisdomTree
- Lyn Alden, founder, Lyn Alden Investment Strategy
- Nathan McCauley, co-founder and CEO, Anchorage
- Richard Walker, financial services blockchain and digital assets consulting leader, Deloitte
Keynote: Copper Technologies
- Asen Kostadinov, strategy officer, Copper.co
PayPal: Driving the Future of Digital Payments
- Jose Fernandez da Ponte, VP and GM of blockchain, crypto and digital currencies at PayPal
Click here to register for this free webinar. Once registered on the ParallelSummit.io community site, be sure to RSVP using the link on the homepage. If already registered, please use your existing credentials to log in and RSVP using the link.
Wharton DC Summit to focus on ‘Innovation Leadership’
With the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority as the prime sponsor, the Wharton Club of DC is presenting the “2021 Wharton DC Innovation Summit: Innovation Leadership in a Post-Pandemic World” on June 10-11 and 14-16 using a virtual format. The summit will explore the impact of these key shifts including how innovators and entrepreneurs are positioning to take advantage of them, how they are getting private and public funding, and what new attributes are required for successful post-pandemic innovation leadership.
Click here to register.
2021 Speakers: (click here to see the schedule of presentations and speaker biographies.)
2021 Keynote Panel Speakers
- Isabella Casillas Guzman, administrator, U.S. Small Business Administration
- Alex Iams, executive vice president, Fairfax County Economic Development Authority
- Melissa King, director, Office of Innovation and Engagement, U. S. Department of Transportation
- Stu Solomon, president & CEO, Connected DMV
2021 Keynote Speakers
- Alan Brody, CEO, TECHmarketing, Convean: iBreakfast & Startupalooza
- Shantanu Nundy, M.D., MBA, chief medical officer, Accolade
- Gitanjali Rao, Forbes 30 Under 30, America’s Top Young Scientist, TED speaker, TIME Top Young Innovator
Click here to see the list of 30 Session Panel Speakers.
Mason center to host session on mentor-protégé teaming agreements
Save the date: The George Mason University Center for Government Contracting, part of the School of Business, is hosting a virtual event: “Finding Success in Mentor-Protégé Teaming Agreements” on June 25. The webinar is the third and final part of the “New Directions in Federal Spending & Contracting” series sponsored by the Fairfax County Economic Development Authority.
Click here to register. Speakers to be announced soon.
See the FCEDA’s Events Calendar to learn about additional upcoming webinars.
June 3, 2021